PENDING SCCM 2107 stuck at downloading - ERROR: Failed to download redist

RogerDIngo

heya

was wondering if anybody else is experiencing issues downloading v2107 in config manager?
in updates and servicing the downloading for v2107 gets stuck in downloading state and doesnt finish so i cannot do a prerequisite check.

1639047074216.png

dmpdownloader.log file shows

1639047122309.png

ERROR: Failed to download redist for 42e1cf6e-95a1-4a8d-96ad-311e6247b3fb with command /RedistUrl https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=2167076 /LnManifestUrl https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=2167071 /RedistVersion 202107 /NoUI "E:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\EasySetupPayload\42e1cf6e-95a1-4a8d-96ad-311e6247b3fb\redist" .
Failed to download redist for 42e1cf6e-95a1-4a8d-96ad-311e6247b3fb.

the EasySetupPayload folder has the cab file and it looks like it downloads it without any issues.
1639047374824.png
the logs show that its extracting the cab file.

ive tried using CMupdatereset but that hasnt worked.
Code:
CMUpdateReset.exe -FDELETE -S SERVERNAME -D CM_XXX -P 42e1cf6e-95a1-4a8d-96ad-311e6247b3fb

i saw a post online that said .net 4.8 and TLS 1.1/1.2 is needed so ive installed .net 4.8 and enabled TLS on the server, but this also hasnt helped.
our SCCM config manager server is 2012R2.

any ideas as to whats going on?

cheers,

OP
RogerDIngo

RogerDIngo

I found this before that other reddit thread. Adding a registry value to add two ciphrs. I did that too, plus the change in the above reddit thread. It works for me now and I get 'ready to install'

Basically it's time to upgrade to a newer server version :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/SCCM/comments/poajtc
nope... that didnt help either.
was missing the intermediate certificate from the system ... added that in but still not working.

TLS 1.2 is enabled
cyphers installed
.net 4.8 installed
all registry keys mentioned above are installed.. including the ones in Wow6432Node

Prajwal Desai

Forum Owner
Staff member
EasySetupDownloadSinglePackage Failed with exception: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send - Doesn't this indicates the security software or a device that is blocking the downloads?.

AitchySan

RogerDingo - i have exactly the same issue as you. did you get anywhere? I have the console constantly downloading the updates, the logs in configmgrsetup.log and dmpdownloader.log are saying the exact same errors you listed. i have did all the above stuff you did, TLS, cyphers. .net 4.8, keys added. I wrote a small batch that i can quickly reset or force delete the hung upgrades on the console as i have done it so many times now it drives me crazy... ultimately, SCCM logs indicate it cant pull one or two cab files but i can nav those urls and pull them manually. if i drop them into relevant directories it doesnt really make a difference. did anyone else come up with any more solutions beyond whats already been tried? im conscious a few people have got this working with the above, but for those that still havent its frustrating.

thanks.

OP
RogerDIngo

RogerDIngo

RogerDingo - i have exactly the same issue as you. did you get anywhere? I have the console constantly downloading the updates, the logs in configmgrsetup.log and dmpdownloader.log are saying the exact same errors you listed. i have did all the above stuff you did, TLS, cyphers. .net 4.8, keys added. I wrote a small batch that i can quickly reset or force delete the hung upgrades on the console as i have done it so many times now it drives me crazy... ultimately, SCCM logs indicate it cant pull one or two cab files but i can nav those urls and pull them manually. if i drop them into relevant directories it doesnt really make a difference. did anyone else come up with any more solutions beyond whats already been tried? im conscious a few people have got this working with the above, but for those that still havent its frustrating.

thanks.
hey mate

nah ive had no luck in resolving this issue... i can only think now that its an OS issue as 2012 is quite old... something gone bust...

we are slowly preparing to move our SCCM to a 2019 server so hopefully that will resolve this.

im not dedicated much more time to this but if i do stumble onto something that works ill post back.

AitchySan

hey mate

nah ive had no luck in resolving this issue... i can only think now that its an OS issue as 2012 is quite old... something gone bust...

we are slowly preparing to move our SCCM to a 2019 server so hopefully that will resolve this.

im not dedicated much more time to this but if i do stumble onto something that works ill post back.
Interesting. this is literally what i discussed with my boss yesterday. we are looking migrating the db or doing some sort of in place upgrade. cheers for letting me know, if i find anything out on the subject ill post back. ta.

OP
RogerDIngo

RogerDIngo

Interesting. this is literally what i discussed with my boss yesterday. we are looking migrating the db or doing some sort of in place upgrade. cheers for letting me know, if i find anything out on the subject ill post back. ta.
yeah we are migrating most of our server estate (at least 90%) to azure so were going to move sccm to azure as well.
but before we can do that we also need to update the DB as SQL is 2012 SP3 (i think)
so SQL has to be updated to minimum 2016 but most likely will go to a newer version as well.

im not entirely sure of the process to update and migrate everything successfully but im working thru it ... early days

[email protected]

I tried all that was mentioned and the only resolution seem to be running the splash.hta from the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\EasySetupPayload\<Package GUID in question> and choosing the "Download required prerequiste files" choosing the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\EasySetupPayload\<Package GUID in question>\redist folder for the downloads, once completed i then restarting the SMS_Executive services on Site Server.

AitchySan

I tried all that was mentioned and the only resolution seem to be running the splash.hta from the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\EasySetupPayload\<Package GUID in question> and choosing the "Download required prerequiste files" choosing the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\EasySetupPayload\<Package GUID in question>\redist folder for the downloads, once completed i then restarting the SMS_Executive services on Site Server.
thanks hayden. ill give this a shot. i just finished shifting the server from 2012 to 2012r2, then to 2019. about to test today so fingers crossed it just works... if not ill give this a try...

AitchySan

just an update for anyone who still is looking at this... i cloned my primary sccm server and updated the OS from 2012<2012r>2019. i then updated SQL from 2012, to 2016, to 2019. I then had to do a primary site reset, and an sms reset and the system came back up. the issue discussed in this forum is no longer present and i can download and fully greenlight patches right up to 2111. only problem i have now is client activity doesnt appear to be working, sccm cant see clients (i havent updated the system yet its still the same version), deployments not working as above hearbeats arent working. everything else seems fine, reports, monitoring, pxe - the sites and components are green with exception to the MP and enrollement role - both of which i have reinstalled but still the same. so - i have resolved one issue but created another... sigh!!! (ps - turning on the 'old' server seems to work ok with client activity back to normal. thought this would be dangerous but it would appear that the system is stable just being flipped like this as a backup...)

OP
RogerDIngo

RogerDIngo

just an update for anyone who still is looking at this... i cloned my primary sccm server and updated the OS from 2012<2012r>2019. i then updated SQL from 2012, to 2016, to 2019. I then had to do a primary site reset, and an sms reset and the system came back up. the issue discussed in this forum is no longer present and i can download and fully greenlight patches right up to 2111. only problem i have now is client activity doesnt appear to be working, sccm cant see clients (i havent updated the system yet its still the same version), deployments not working as above hearbeats arent working. everything else seems fine, reports, monitoring, pxe - the sites and components are green with exception to the MP and enrollement role - both of which i have reinstalled but still the same. so - i have resolved one issue but created another... sigh!!! (ps - turning on the 'old' server seems to work ok with client activity back to normal. thought this would be dangerous but it would appear that the system is stable just being flipped like this as a backup...)
any firewall rules blocking access to your newly cloned VM?

AitchySan

any firewall rules blocking access to your newly cloned VM?
nope! when i cloned the servers (with vsphere) they have the same IP, hostname etc, and i ensure if one is on the other is off etc. the old is ok and client activity is green. the new the activity is red etc. any rules at local and network firewall will be identical im afraid... its frustrating!

OP
RogerDIngo

RogerDIngo

nope! when i cloned the servers (with vsphere) they have the same IP, hostname etc, and i ensure if one is on the other is off etc. the old is ok and client activity is green. the new the activity is red etc. any rules at local and network firewall will be identical im afraid... its frustrating!
i would not be surprised if SCCM has some internal config/GUID ID/ something that breaks when you clone the server hence why youre having these issues.

you would probably be better off setting up a HA config (passive/active) configuration and then failing over the services to your new VM.
this is what we are going to do when we migrate to Azure.

OP
RogerDIngo

RogerDIngo

weve managed to resolve the issue by downloading the required files on another server and then copying them to the primary sccm server and running a few SQL DB commands to progress/update the status.
i have managed to do a pre-req check and it says its passed with warnings.

ill detail what we did below.
One of the things that made us try downloading the files needed on another server is that the ConfigMGrSetup.log file was having issues downloading.
1643372405038.png

1. locate the setupdl.exe file
E:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\EasySetupPayload\44ce0720-6c46-4554-89cf-c9713e9c06c6\SMSSETUP\BIN\X64

2. copy setupdl.exe to a different server that has internet access
in my case we copied to a 2016 management server which is on the same network/subnet

3. run the following to download the files needed. you can open open the log file to monitor the status.
setupdl.exe /RedistUrl https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=2184007 /LnManifestUrl https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=2179667 /RedistVersion 202111 /NoUI "C:\temp\redist" >> "C:\redist.log"
1643372564352.png

once download finishes the log file will contain.
1643373403169.png

4. on your SCCM Server. Delete everything inside the redist folder associated with the GUID for v2111
E:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\EasySetupPayload\44ce0720-6c46-4554-89cf-c9713e9c06c6\redist

5. Copy the downloaded files from the other server to the redist folder.
E:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\EasySetupPayload\44ce0720-6c46-4554-89cf-c9713e9c06c6\redist

On the SQL DB
IF you have v2107 also stuck in downloading do the following.
Edit the GUID number with the number show in your sccm console.
for me the GUID is : 42e1cf6e-95a1-4a8d-96ad-311e6247b3fb

declare @guid varchar(40) = '42e1cf6e-95a1-4a8d-96ad-311e6247b3fb'
delete from CM_UpdatePackages where PackageGuid= '42e1cf6e-95a1-4a8d-96ad-311e6247b3fb' and (dbo.fnIsCasOrStandalonePrimary() = 1)
delete from CM_UpdatePackageSiteStatus where PackageGuid in
(select PackageGuid from CM_UpdatePackageSiteStatus where PackageGuid not in (select PackageGuid from cm_updatepackages))
delete from CM_UpdatePackage_MonitoringStatus where PackageGuid= '42e1cf6e-95a1-4a8d-96ad-311e6247b3fb' and SiteNumber=dbo.fnGetSiteNumber()
update SMSPackages_G set Action = 3 where PkgID =(select PackageID from EasySetupSettings where PackageGuid= '42e1cf6e-95a1-4a8d-96ad-311e6247b3fb')
delete from EasySetupSettings where PackageGuid= '42e1cf6e-95a1-4a8d-96ad-311e6247b3fb'

refresh the updates and servicing admin console and v2107 will be gone.

ON THE SQL DB
run the following to confirm the status.

select * from cm_updatepackages where packageguid like '44ce0720-6c46-4554-89cf-c9713e9c06c6'

check the State Column
if number is 262145, this means the state is downloading in progress (stuck because it cant download)

next, update the State to Successful by using this.
update cm_updatepackages set state = '262146' where packageguid like '44ce0720-6c46-4554-89cf-c9713e9c06c6'

once done, refresh the updates console and v2111 should be ready to install

1643373237353.png

as mentioned my pre-req check is now completed.
1643373297196.png

1643373311623.png

my thoughts about this....
I can only think that the 2012 server we are using to host SCCM is blocking the download.. how or why is any ones guess .. but im pointing my finger at the old 2012 OS.

hope this helps you guys out.

Attachments

• 1643373280438.png
    1643373280438.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 5

AitchySan

weve managed to resolve the issue by downloading the required files on another server and then copying them to the primary sccm server and running a few SQL DB commands to progress/update the status.
i have managed to do a pre-req check and it says its passed with warnings.

ill detail what we did below.
One of the things that made us try downloading the files needed on another server is that the ConfigMGrSetup.log file was having issues downloading.
View attachment 4230

1. locate the setupdl.exe file
E:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\EasySetupPayload\44ce0720-6c46-4554-89cf-c9713e9c06c6\SMSSETUP\BIN\X64

2. copy setupdl.exe to a different server that has internet access
in my case we copied to a 2016 management server which is on the same network/subnet

3. run the following to download the files needed. you can open open the log file to monitor the status.
setupdl.exe /RedistUrl https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=2184007 /LnManifestUrl https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=2179667 /RedistVersion 202111 /NoUI "C:\temp\redist" >> "C:\redist.log"
View attachment 4231

once download finishes the log file will contain.
View attachment 4236

4. on your SCCM Server. Delete everything inside the redist folder associated with the GUID for v2111

5. Copy the downloaded files from the other server to the redist folder.

On the SQL DB
IF you have v2107 also stuck in downloading do the following.
Edit the GUID number with the number show in your sccm console.
for me the GUID is : 42e1cf6e-95a1-4a8d-96ad-311e6247b3fb

declare @guid varchar(40) = '42e1cf6e-95a1-4a8d-96ad-311e6247b3fb'
delete from CM_UpdatePackages where PackageGuid= '42e1cf6e-95a1-4a8d-96ad-311e6247b3fb' and (dbo.fnIsCasOrStandalonePrimary() = 1)
delete from CM_UpdatePackageSiteStatus where PackageGuid in
(select PackageGuid from CM_UpdatePackageSiteStatus where PackageGuid not in (select PackageGuid from cm_updatepackages))
delete from CM_UpdatePackage_MonitoringStatus where PackageGuid= '42e1cf6e-95a1-4a8d-96ad-311e6247b3fb' and SiteNumber=dbo.fnGetSiteNumber()
update SMSPackages_G set Action = 3 where PkgID =(select PackageID from EasySetupSettings where PackageGuid= '42e1cf6e-95a1-4a8d-96ad-311e6247b3fb')
delete from EasySetupSettings where PackageGuid= '42e1cf6e-95a1-4a8d-96ad-311e6247b3fb'

refresh the updates and servicing admin console and v2107 will be gone.

ON THE SQL DB
run the following to confirm the status.

select * from cm_updatepackages where packageguid like '44ce0720-6c46-4554-89cf-c9713e9c06c6'

check the State Column
if number is 262145, this means the state is downloading in progress (stuck because it cant download)

next, update the State to Successful by using this.
update cm_updatepackages set state = '262146' where packageguid like '44ce0720-6c46-4554-89cf-c9713e9c06c6'

once done, refresh the updates console and v2111 should be ready to install

View attachment 4232

as mentioned my pre-req check is now completed.
View attachment 4234

View attachment 4235

my thoughts about this....
I can only think that the 2012 server we are using to host SCCM is blocking the download.. how or why is any ones guess .. but im pointing my finger at the old 2012 OS.

hope this helps you guys out.
Fantastic Mate! this worked a treat. System is upgrading now. i think you are right on the 2012 server. after i cloned the 2012 and upgraded it to 2019 on OS and SQL everything worked fine on the download front. just that the clients never talked to the server as mentioned latterly probably due to some embedded UID. but we know for sure sccm will pull all relevant files on the upgrade node if its not on server 2012. as for now, my pre-reqs are green (with exception of the server OS warning) and the upgrade is installing now. many thanks! i think im going to have to build a new SCCM server, but i honestly think i would rather start from scratch than do a pretty dirty migration... Thanks again!

OP
RogerDIngo

RogerDIngo

Fantastic Mate! this worked a treat. System is upgrading now. i think you are right on the 2012 server. after i cloned the 2012 and upgraded it to 2019 on OS and SQL everything worked fine on the download front. just that the clients never talked to the server as mentioned latterly probably due to some embedded UID. but we know for sure sccm will pull all relevant files on the upgrade node if its not on server 2012. as for now, my pre-reqs are green (with exception of the server OS warning) and the upgrade is installing now. many thanks! i think im going to have to build a new SCCM server, but i honestly think i would rather start from scratch than do a pretty dirty migration... Thanks again!
awesome stuff mate... glad it worked for you!

LittleS

I have been bashing my head against a wall for 2+ weeks on this very issue. Thought I was going crazy. Glad to finally find a thread with others in the same boat. I've reached the "time to upgrade" mindset on it. So it is real nice to hear that that did work out for others. I am currently trying RogerDingos steps as well, just in case. Getting some errors on the redist.log on the second server, but it did download a bunch of stuff still. Fingers crossed.

[email protected]

Just to add my 2 cents with regards to the Operating System queries posed by Aitchy and Roger above, we are having the same problem downloading the 2107/11 upgrades in our DEV environment which is 2012, but our PROD environment has no problems downloading the updates and it is running 2012 R2. Both OS need updating, so will be doing this sooner rather than later.

802geek

Here is another odd deal, using the splash from the easysetuppayload folder for 2111 I try to download the redist, fails.
Configmgrsetup.log clearly shows -
ERROR: WinHttpReceiveResponse failed 80072efe Configuration Manager Setup 3/11/2022 10:55:59 AM 1408 (0x0580)
ERROR: Download() failed with 0x80072EFE Configuration Manager Setup 3/11/2022 10:55:59 AM 1408 (0x0580)
ERROR: Failed to download language pack manifest (0x80072EFE) Configuration Manager Setup 3/11/2022 10:55:59 AM 1408 (0x0580)

However, when I mount the original ISO (2103) Current Branch and use the downloader for redist. Downloads without issue. WTH!