SOLVED SCCM 2111 - some clients black screen when connecting with remote viewer

Pete811

After upgrade on some clients the remote viewer does not work correct. It connects but the remote screen keeps black. This issue is not on every client.
I checked the CmRcService.log but it does not show any error.
Any ideas where can Itake a further look?

Solution
Good morning,

@Prajwal Desai
thanks for your effort.
I could figure out the problem. The affected clients use Citrix Remote-PC for Home Office. A "Citrix-DLL" crashed the "SCCMrdpuser.exe". In registry you can exclude the EXE and now the Remote Viewer works as expected.

@Ryan R.
Sorry, here I can't help. We don't have any WIN7 client in our environment

MoBoBowers

I can consistently reproduce this issue with Windows Embedded POSReady7 and the latest client so I opened a case with MS on 12/29. They informed me it was the first instance of the issue being reported. They were unwilling to assist calling out that POSReady7 was no longer supported and it was not tested by the product team. The case was closed however they would reach back out to me if anyone else in a supported configuration reported the same problem.

Reactions: marksimmer

marksimmer

any updates on this issue, did Microsoft acknowledge the issue yet?
MSFT states:

Praveen (Microsoft)
Wednesday, January 5, 2022 5:29 PM GMT
Hello Mark,

As you are not able to remote control to the client from the SCCM console of yours after the upgrade to 2111. We are investigating that as it is a bug from our end and our teams are working on it. So, please be patient and let us work on the issue

Regards,
Praveen Kumar
Support Engineer - v-pravekumar@microsoft.com
Configuration Manager and WSUS Team 9:00 AM – 06:30 PM PST, Mon-Fri.

My Technical Lead: Simran Gumber at v-sigumb@microsoft.com
If you have any feedback about my work, please let either me or my manager Sandeep Dawar at v-sadawa@microsoft.com

Reactions: mxcharf

Mel

Good morning,

@Prajwal Desai
thanks for your effort.
I could figure out the problem. The affected clients use Citrix Remote-PC for Home Office. A "Citrix-DLL" crashed the "SCCMrdpuser.exe". In registry you can exclude the EXE and now the Remote Viewer works as expected.

@Ryan R.
Sorry, here I can't help. We don't have any WIN7 client in our environment
@Pete811
I am having the same issue with Citrix-Remote-PC. Can you explain how to exclude the EXE in the registry?
Thank you.

OP
Pete811

Pete811

@Pete811
I am having the same issue with Citrix-Remote-PC. Can you explain how to exclude the EXE in the registry?
Thank you.
Hi,

I found this article:

Key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\CtxUvi
Value Name: UviProcessExcludes
And added "SCCMrdpuser.ex"

marksimmer

I've discovered that this only affects Windows 10 PCs that are 21H1 (10.0.19043) and newer. I'm able to "remote control" PCs that are Windows 19 20H2 (10.0.19042) and older. Please see if this is the case in your Lab, Prajwal, and others reading this.

mxcharf

I've discovered that this only affects Windows 10 PCs that are 21H1 (10.0.19043) and newer. I'm able to "remote control" PCs that are Windows 19 20H2 (10.0.19042) and older. Please see if this is the case in your Lab, Prajwal, and others reading this.
In our environment all the win10 pcs are impacted:

BillC

We've been having the same issue in my environment post 2111 install.
Clients that have not upgraded (5.00.9058.1047) work fine and will connect.
Clients that have the latest version (5.00.9068.1008) hang at the remote connection screen after the handshake has been completed. Any help would be much appreciated. We also do not have a Citrix Environment.

Last edited:

BillC

Clients that have the latest version (5.00.9068.1008) hang at the remote connection screen after the handshake has been completed. Any help would be much appreciated. We also do not have a Citrix Environment.
I'm creating a new thread that is not related to a Citrix environment.

Reactions: tccilaw_nahra

aostroushko

The hotfix? What hotfix? Please advise.
You can install old version agent. i use script for windows 10 work fine just from sccm console => run script. On older version i made. GPO

start-process -filepath "C:\Windows\ccmsetup\ccmsetup.exe" -ArgumentList "/uninstall" -Wait
Start-Sleep -Seconds 5
Get-Item C:\windows\ccmsetup | Remove-Item -Recurse -force -Confirm:$false
Start-Sleep -Seconds 5
start-process -filepath "\\filepath_to_client\ccmsetup.exe" -ArgumentList "SMSSITECODE=U01", "/AlwaysExcludeUpgrade:TRUE" -wait

Reactions: marksimmer

SteveE

Are any of you with the issue using Websense at all? Removing Websense allowed me to remote on to machines, which could point back to a restriction in a policy.

Additionally as a test I rolled back C:\Windows\CCM\RemCtrl\SCCMRDPUser.exe to the previous version 5.00.8605.1000 , remote control started working.

Reactions: BillC

tccilaw_nahra

Are any of you with the issue using Websense at all? Removing Websense allowed me to remote on to machines, which could point back to a restriction in a policy.

Additionally as a test I rolled back C:\Windows\CCM\RemCtrl\SCCMRDPUser.exe to the previous version 5.00.8605.1000 , remote control started working.
@BillC - do you have a procedure on how to roll back the client?

Last edited:

SteveE

@BillC - do you have a procedure on how to roll back the client?
Hi I used aostroushko #35 , instructions initially on my test machine,
Then as a second test I copied from downgraded test machine just the sccmrdpuser.exe to another test machine which also worked, with no need to reboot for this.

Our environment uses Websense and applying an exclusion for the sccmrdpuser.exe, means we donot have to downgrade the clients.

tccilaw_nahra

Then as a second test I copied from downgraded test machine just the sccmrdpuser.exe to another test machine which also worked, with no need to reboot for this.

Our environment uses Websense and applying an exclusion for the sccmrdpuser.exe, means we donot have to downgrade the clients.
To be more specific: Where is the old ccmsetup.exe? But I managed to find one using a snapshot.

mxcharf

We use websense for web and email only, how do you put an exception for local exe? I was able to disable FP on both client and computer that is connecting from and still cant use remote control, definitely issue with latest MECM client that is causing that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hemald