SCCM | Configuration Manager | Intune | Windows Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members. Please post your questions in the correct category.

SOLVED Failed to restore SMS client identity Code 0x80092004

Status
Not open for further replies.

premo103

Setup Windows and Configuration Manager performs a system reboot initiated by an action, then device ignores all other task sequences there after and boots back to operating system but without Client. All we were able to scavenge from the logs is that System failed to restore Identity. CMTrace_WeYKK7sEt6.png

RoyalTS_nKZrgUyRUK.png

Solution
Hi to all!
It seems that the boot image we're using was not updated automatically during the SCCM update. After updating it manually (Update Distribution Points option), everything works fine.
...another thing to check post-update... :)
Greets,
RW
Setup Windows and Configuration Manager performs a system reboot initiated by an action, then device ignores all other task sequences there after and boots back to operating system but without Client. All we were able to scavenge from the logs is that System failed to restore Identity. View attachment 3300

View attachment 3299
Hi premo103, we have the same issue. The funny thing is, it only happens when the TS is run from the full OS (Software Center). When installing OS from PXE, the ConfigMgr agent gets installed correctly.
Did you also switch to HTTPS client communication recently?
What ConfigMgr version are you using?
Greets!

I have this same issue but only using the new Software Center client build with 2107, I imaged two workstations one was in my pre production test group and one was not - the pre production with the updated client failed and the other didn't. Sadly I promoted the client before it failed and before I knew it was an issue...

I have this same issue but only using the new Software Center client build with 2107, I imaged two workstations one was in my pre production test group and one was not - the pre production with the updated client failed and the other didn't. Sadly I promoted the client before it failed and before I knew it was an issue...
Thank you for sharing your knowledges.
Yes issue appeared after upgrade to version 2017.
I will create ticket to Microsoft then.

Hm, I guess you'd know if it was using https as there is a bit of work to configure that, I'd suggest to investigate using config mgr generated certs for http if you are only using plain http. I don't have a support contract with Microsoft so I can't open a ticket myself, and I feel like this issue will be found in the future so I am tempted to leave it as is for now, and next time I will test this before making the preproduction client production!

Hi to all!
It seems that the boot image we're using was not updated automatically during the SCCM update. After updating it manually (Update Distribution Points option), everything works fine.
Greets,
RW

Solution
Hi to all!
Greets,
RW
Ah, thanks for updating! I did check certificates for the boot image but never thought to update it, will try tomorrow.
Little strange it works when pxe booting but not through software center!

Hi to all!
Greets,
RW
Thank you ! This look good , I tested it on lab machine and it works now. Until now after updates I did not noticed this issue with updating boot images. As Grasshopper says , it confused me that OSD from WINPE worked fine ( without update boot image that is the same as boot image when it was launched from full Windows - boot to WINPE )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back