PENDING Can't Find system Disk during PXE

ssingler

We have ordered ThinkBook 15 G2 ITL Laptop - Type 20VE that we are trying to image with SCCM and it is failing on partitioning the disk 0. I have tried your suggestion on using diskpart
Perform a PXE boot, and before you select the Task Sequence, hit F8 key. From the command window that opens perform the following commands :-

diskpart
select disk 0 (0 being the disk to setup)
clean (wipe the disk)
create partition primary (Create Windows partition)
assign letter=c
format quick fs=NTFS (Format primary partition)
Exit

but when I run Diskpart and list disk it shows no disk available. I have tried to load the IRST storage driver it says it loads but doesn't not show the drive still. I can boot to a windows 10 USB and sideload the drivers there and the drive shows up just not in the WINPE environment. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
It seems to be fixed by downloading the SCCM driver pack, then the only driver you need to import into MEMCM is "Intel RST VMD Controller 9A08 (TGL)" which is under the category of SCSIAdapter. When importing you need to ensure it's added to the boot image, although MEMCM should offer to add it and distribute the updated boot image. I now have a task sequence that's seeing the drive and installing Windows so far...
OP
S

ssingler

I have Partition Disk 0 - UEFI running in the task sequence but it fails, when I run a diskpart during PXE there are no drives for me to select to partition. we have lenovo G1's and they work fine this model has the new 11th Generation Intel Core i5-1135G7

SSR

Did you manage to resolve this? I have the same issue. Currently importing the SCCM driver pack for the laptop into MEMCM to see if it has PE drivers.

SSR

It seems to be fixed by downloading the SCCM driver pack, then the only driver you need to import into MEMCM is "Intel RST VMD Controller 9A08 (TGL)" which is under the category of SCSIAdapter. When importing you need to ensure it's added to the boot image, although MEMCM should offer to add it and distribute the updated boot image. I now have a task sequence that's seeing the drive and installing Windows so far...

Solution

Cory Teale

I inserted the driver as above and the initial OSD task sequence formatted and applied the OS wim file image to the NVMe drive but after reboot to contiunue the setup the device is blue screening with a error of inaccessible_boot_device. Not sure how to get around this. Maybe I am not presenting the correct drivers during the Apply Device Drivers stage. Any insight would be greatly apprciated.

SSR

I inserted the driver as above and the initial OSD task sequence formatted and applied the OS wim file image to the NVMe drive but after reboot to contiunue the setup the device is blue screening with a error of inaccessible_boot_device. Not sure how to get around this. Maybe I am not presenting the correct drivers during the Apply Device Drivers stage. Any insight would be greatly apprciated.
It definitely needs to be in the boot image (not sure if it matters whether it's in the task sequence). Go to SCCM > Software Library > Operating Systems > Boot Images. Edit the relevant boot image there (normally the 64 bit one) and add the drive. Make sure the boot image is redistributed although it should prompt to do that.

Cory Teale

It definitely needs to be in the boot image (not sure if it matters whether it's in the task sequence). Go to SCCM > Software Library > Operating Systems > Boot Images. Edit the relevant boot image there (normally the 64 bit one) and add the drive. Make sure the boot image is redistributed although it should prompt to do that.
Thanks SSR for the reply! The driver was already inserted into the boot image. That allowed me to start the imaging process (format drive via UEFI and apply windows wim file). The issue I think is after the computer reboots after applying the wim file and tries to setup windows, it is unable to see the driver as it isn't installed in windows. This results in a blue screen with inaccessible_boot_device stop code. I am guessing the fix would require slip streaming the VMD driver into a windows wim file via DISM. Just looking for verification on this. I kind of verified this by doing a traditional windows install off a thumb drive and being promted for drivers at the format disk stage. I installed the drivers and windows discovered the NVMe drive and installed properly with VMD enabled. As a side note I disabled VMD and can image the device from SCCM without issue, the only downside is you can't add additional storage with VMD disabled. Not a problem in my organization as we typically don't add storage to user devices.

SSR

Thanks SSR for the reply! The driver was already inserted into the boot image. That allowed me to start the imaging process (format drive via UEFI and apply windows wim file). The issue I think is after the computer reboots after applying the wim file and tries to setup windows, it is unable to see the driver as it isn't installed in windows. This results in a blue screen with inaccessible_boot_device stop code. I am guessing the fix would require slip streaming the VMD driver into a windows wim file via DISM. Just looking for verification on this. I kind of verified this by doing a traditional windows install off a thumb drive and being promted for drivers at the format disk stage. I installed the drivers and windows discovered the NVMe drive and installed properly with VMD enabled. As a side note I disabled VMD and can image the device from SCCM without issue, the only downside is you can't add additional storage with VMD disabled. Not a problem in my organization as we typically don't add storage to user devices.
Hmm. Well I'm not too sure then. There is of course the apply driver package step for a task sequence, and we have needed to add RST drivers for some new desktops at that stage otherwise they do something similar.

SSR

Hmm. Well I'm not too sure then. There is of course the apply driver package step for a task sequence, and we have needed to add RST drivers for some new desktops at that stage otherwise they do something similar.
Curiously we just had an issue with a new set of these where they bluescreen'd after applying the Windows image and restarting. This was a different task sequence that was missing the driver package, but applying the ThinkBook driver package with the aforementioned driver as part of the "Install Operating System" step has solved it again. (Task sequence hasn't completely finished yet, but it's no longer bluescreening at that point)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Werfalli