PENDING Windows 10 upgrade stuck on upgrade operating system

luckycushy

Hello,
I'm looking at upgrading 1200+ endpoints from Windows 10 x64 1909 to 20H2. I've added a Operating System Upgrade Package, distributed the content, selected the option "Upgrade an operating system from an upgrade" within the Task Sequence wizard and setup a deployment.

The upgrade completed successfully, well it successfully reached 100%, but it's stuck at running the action - Upgrade Operating System.

Why would this be?
I've uploaded the smsts.log but cannot find any real error/information data.
Any help guidance will be much appreicated.
Thanks.

Prajwal Desai

Forum Owner
Staff member
The upgrade operating system step usually takes more time. So I would suggest wait until it either succeeds or throws an error. I think you forgot to attach the log file.

OP
L

luckycushy

Hi Prajwal,
Thanks for taking time to respond.
It seems I was a little premature to end the TS - how long would you recommend to wait? I'm assuming it will error out at some point?

The Operating System Upgrade Package no longer appears in the O/S tab within Software Center - how would go about reinstating the TS.

Regards,
Steve

OP
L

luckycushy

Update:
so after a little digging this article helped with resetting my endpoint. Within 5 minutes of running the PScript the OS TS appeared and started automatically installing.

@Prajwal it would be nice to know if I missed anything in the log.
Thanks,

OP
L

luckycushy

Ok a further update;
My device seemed to be stuck in a state of installing the O/S update. However, I could deploy other software from Software Center, which suggests O/S update wasn't doing anything. I left it installing for nearly 4 hours and then gave up by removing it from the device collection linked to the O/S upgrade and restarted the SMS Agent Host service.

Any ideas/suggestions welcomed...!

Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChloeY