SCCM | Configuration Manager | Intune | Windows Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members. Please post your questions in the correct category.

PENDING Is it possible to rename computer with Dell service tag in OSD task sequence?

Shibin Shaji

Hi,

We have recently purchased SCCM and I am new to it. We have managed to install SCCM and configured it ourselves with the help of the forum. I have already created and deployed OS successfully but I couldn't get a way with renaming the computer with the format we use in our company. So, now the computers are deployed with the generic name by SCCM and we change it later before we add them to domain manually.
All the computers are Dell and the naming format is ServiceTag_ModelNumber (Example: 1A2BC34_E5470). Is there a way to do it in OSD task sequence? Kindly help.

I tried once but I didn't try again because I found one document from Dell but didn't work as well. Maybe I am doing it wrong, here is what I did-
-Created a vb script copying the script from the dell document.
-Created a package with that source file and distributed.
-Immediately following the Partition Disk step, inserted a new task for Run Command Line.
-Added a command line and entered "Cscript //nologo SetComputerName.vbs". Selected the package.
-Run the task sequence.

I will try again this tomorrow and update here. Thank you!

Back