SOLVED ConfigMgr SUP,WSUS,and client push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qafikh

Hi,

I have several questions need to ask regarding ConfigMgr SUP, WSUS, and client push. Appreciate your answers on this.

::SUP and WSUS::
1. Is it mandatory to install SUP on the primary site server? I read multiple post on the internet and all suggesting to install the SUP on the primary site
2. If SUP is installed on the SUP server, then we need to install WSUS service as well right?
3. If I have existing 3 WSUS server in the environment (1 upstream, 2 downstream), can I configure the SUP to point to one of the downstream server?
4. Is is mandatory for SCCM client to be installed on the device before windows update can be push to it? Or is it we just configure GPO to point to the SUP to get the windows patches

::Client Push::
1. The SCCM client package is it need to be pushed from DP or is it can be pushed from the MP?
2. The boundary, boundary groups, and DP group is it mandatory to be configured for a successful client installation push?

Regards,
Qafikh

Solution
  1. No the SUP does NOT need to be on the primary server.
  2. Yes you need WSUS when you have a SUP, you can't install a SUP without it.
  3. NO you can't reuse an exist WSUS server. Create a new one. Technical you can but it will cause a TON of problems so.. Just don't do it.
  4. YES the CM client needs to be there to us the SUP.

1. It depend on what version of CM you have but assuming a current version, yes it needs to be on the DPs
  2. You should have boundaries setup correctly but for push they are NOT mandatory. Same with any deployment. But you have to understand what that means.

Garth

Staff member
  1. No the SUP does NOT need to be on the primary server.
  2. Yes you need WSUS when you have a SUP, you can't install a SUP without it.
  3. NO you can't reuse an exist WSUS server. Create a new one. Technical you can but it will cause a TON of problems so.. Just don't do it.
  4. YES the CM client needs to be there to us the SUP.

1. It depend on what version of CM you have but assuming a current version, yes it needs to be on the DPs
  2. You should have boundaries setup correctly but for push they are NOT mandatory. Same with any deployment. But you have to understand what that means.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChloeY